10 Tips to Help You Recover from Your Mommy Makeover
August 30, 2022
Motherhood is beautiful, and for many women, it’s one of the most rewarding experiences of their lives. At the same time, once they know they’re done breastfeeding and don’t plan to have any more babies, a lot of women experience a desire to have their pre-motherhood bodies back again.
For many though, that’s harder to achieve with just a committed diet and exercise regimen. Children require nearly all of a mother’s time and attention, which is not easy on a woman’s body, and many find it difficult to bounce back, especially after multiple pregnancies. They may experience sagging breasts, loose skin, and stretch marks.
If this sounds like you, a mommy makeover can significantly boost that goal of getting your pre-motherhood body back, AND your recovery time can be less than you may think if you follow these tips!
What’s a Mommy Makeover?
A mommy makeover is a procedure performed by a licensed and skilled plastic surgeon and involves an abdominoplasty (also called a “tummy tuck”), along with a breast procedure, whether it’s an augmentation, lift, reduction, or combination of these. Every patient is different and will discuss their desired goals with the plastic surgeon, who will recommend the combination of procedures to achieve optimal results.
If you are considering a mommy makeover in Atlanta, you should schedule a consultation with an experienced surgeon like Dr. Mark Deutsch of Perimeter Plastic Surgery to discuss which procedures are best for you.
Recovering from Your Mommy Makeover
Once your mommy makeover procedure has been completed, you’ll want to start enjoying your new look as soon as possible and getting back to your normal busy routine caring for your children and family. Here are ten tips for making that happen without risking injuries or other problems:
- Get as much help from others as you can. This includes having someone drive you home after the procedure and having someone around for the next five days or so to help you rest and recover.
- Time to rest is mandatory. Chances are, you’ll still have family and/or work obligations to fulfill. No matter what, you must set aside ample time per your doctor’s instructions to rest. If you can’t keep up with it all on your own, then get help from a friend or family member or, if necessary, hire somebody as a personal assistant.
- Don’t spend all your time in bed. You don’t want to develop blood clots in your legs, so you should get up and walk around several times a day. This will also provide a much-needed break from the boredom of being in bed for long periods.
- Be active, but don’t overdo it. Yes, you should get up and move around, but you’ll need to avoid strenuous exercise for up to 6 weeks. In addition, you’ll need to avoid lifting heavy objects (anything 10 pounds or more, which might include your children) for 1-2 weeks. These periods can vary according to the individual patient, so it’s essential to follow your surgeon’s recommendations since your surgeon knows your situation best.
- Sleep in the proper position. Sleeping on your stomach after a mommy makeover is something to avoid, even if it’s your preferred sleeping position. Sleeping on your back is better, and you can use pillows to prop up your back, hips, and knees as needed. Alternatively, you can sleep on a recliner, and you can also sleep on your side as long as you take care that there won’t be abrasion anywhere where incisions are healing.
- Use your compression garments and practice breast massages. More likely than not, you’ll be placed in or will be given compression garments after your procedures. They might not be the most fashionable looking, but they serve important purposes. Compression garments reduce pain and swelling and promote healing. They also help with shaping, so it’s essential to use them as instructed. If your mommy makeover includes any breast procedures, it will be essential to perform surgeon-described massages for healing and settling.
- Take care of your wounds. The top concern is watching for signs of infection, but monitoring your incisions and caring for them as instructed will help them heal faster and reduce scarring. If you have drains, they help recovery by speeding healing and preventing fluid build-ups, so tend to them carefully.
- Use your pain medication as prescribed. To manage pain and promote healing, it’s essential to stick to the dosages and intervals described, even if that means getting up in the middle of the night to stay on schedule. This also means not substituting over-the-counter meds for prescribed ones; over-the-counter meds are not as effective and may actually interfere with the healing process.
- Avoid direct sunlight and absolutely do not smoke. Daylight can darken your scars, which will make them more visible. If you have to be out in the sun during recovery, take precautions to protect your incision sites from exposure. Please note that patients who smoke are NOT candidates for a mommy makeover and must be 6 weeks nicotine free prior to surgery as smoking impedes the healing process and can cause wound healing issues. Use your mommy makeover as a long-waited reason to quit smoking.
- Contact your surgeon if anything seems wrong. If you see signs of infection, if you experience complications or develop a fever, or something just doesn’t seem right, get in touch with your surgeon immediately. Don’t assume a seemingly small problem will take care of itself. Your surgeon will want to see you immediately to determine what’s wrong and how to address it for a safe, healthy recovery.
Perimeter Plastic Surgery: A Trusted Atlanta Provider
Have you decided a mommy makeover is for you? Are you considering it but not sure if you’re a candidate for one? Do you have questions about which procedures are the right ones for you?
Schedule a consultation with Dr. Mark Deutsch, an award-winning, double-board-certified plastic surgeon who brings expertise to the job and a compassionate, safe, and ethical approach. Dr. Deutsch will answer all your questions and then ask questions of his own to help ensure that you make the best decisions for you and your body.
Schedule your consultation for an affordable mommy makeover in Atlanta today!